Tips for Looking for & Getting a Job
- Identify Your Job Skills & Interests – What do you do best and what talents do you have to perform a job?
- Identify Your References – They should be people you have worked or volunteered for, not a relative or personal friend.
- Develop a Resume – Include information that is applicable to your work history. Resumes should be accurate and verifiable.
- Develop a Cover Letter – This should accompany your resume and should include how you think your skills could meet the company’s need.
- Complete an Application – Read it carefully and complete all the questions. Try to avoid any spelling errors.
- Prepare for the Interview – Find out what the company is looking for in an employee.
- The Interview – Wear clean and neat clothing, arrive on time, and describe your job skills clearly.
- Follow-Up – After completing the application and/or interview, follow-up with a phone call, email, or card to thank them for the interview.
- Setting up an Email Account – Many employers prefer communicating via email. To set up an email account free of charge go to mail.google.com or www.hotmail.com.
Attitude and attire are very important in getting a job!