Looking for ways to communicate with others, including your children, more effectively? Here are some great and easy ways you can begin incorporating today.
The Seven C’s of Communication
- Clear: Be clear about your goal or message.
- Concise: Stick to the point and keep the conversation brief.
- Concrete: Make sure to whom you are speaking has a clear picture of what you are telling them.
- Correct: Make sure what you are saying fits who you are talking to.
- Coherent: Everything you are talking about is on the same subject.
- Complete: The person to whom you are speaking has been clearly informed about the topic during conversation.
- Courteous: Friendly, open, and honest.
Effective Family Communication
- Encourage positive behavior.
- Creating strong bonds within the family leads to a positive family environment.
- Parent and child must treat each other with respect.
- Speak to your child in a manner that you want them to speak to you.
- Always praise your child for a positive behavior. This will encourage these behaviors more often.
- Family mealtime is important. Always make time to sit down and have meals together.
- Treat children fairly and understand their point of view. “Because I say so” is not an appropriate response to your children.